EBVT electronic tuning data

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:25:06 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/02 8:13:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell)
 writes:

> Hi Ron. Bill B. has described the importance of tuning octaves a certain way
> to get the proper effect for the EBVT (you can't do a proper EBVT on an
> ETD!). Have you delved into programming octave relationships on the
> Verituner that might give the desired octave relationships so that the
> Verituner calculates a proper Bill B. EBVT?

Yes, you can use the SAT to tune the octaves the way I do (I don't know about
RCT or Tunelab), I use it every day.  It can find the right pitch for each
note with the same accuracy as can be done aurally and can be put in a
program.  You can also use the FAC program and refine it by using the same
technique I do but the right correction figures for the temperament octave
have to be determined first.  When I finally am satisfied that I have them,
I'll explain how to use them with the FAC program.

Anyone out there who thinks they have a set of figures, post them and I will
try them and let you know if they are working consistently from piano to
piano or not.

The difficulty of determining a simple temperament octave like this is what
makes me not trust this approach to tuning HT's.  There is too much
possibility for error.  If you, as the tuner, don't really understand the
temperament aurally, how would you know one way or the other if it what is
intended?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin