HTs/Exam

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 06:53:38 -0400

At 08:55 PM 5/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Gentlemen/Ladies,
>The possiblility of testing, using an HT, is quite possible. However, the
>"Rub", is: you would have to have 3 RPTs capable of tuning the piano in a
>specific HT. Just finding 3 RPTs in the same location, that are CTEs AND
>knowledgable in HTs, is, in my opinion a tough nut to crack.
>Just my thoughts on the subject, having done a few exams in ET. <G>
>Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Don't the examiners check the temperament with an ETD to check drift?

So if an HT were tuned for the exam, the examiners would simply use that
particular  temperament offsets to check. Unisons are still unisons,
octaves are still octaves.
It would be the same as giving measurements in metric instead of standard.
A different ruler.

However, some constant needs to be maintained and ET temperament happens to
be enjoying
favoritism.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you can't tune an acceptable ET
chances are that you can't
tune and acceptable HT as well.

It's like taking a driving test and insisting on driving on the left side
of the road because that's how they
drive in certain places.  Go with the flow...

When you come right down to it, there is a lot of flexibility in tuning
across the scale and the final
judgement is, "If it sounds good, it is good".

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com