Bandsaw blade width for pinblocks

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 20:30:20 -0700 (PDT)

Have had pretty good success using a 1/2" hook
tooth (3 or 4 TPI) blade.  It's the blade that's
usually on the saw.  I use it for a lot of stuff
including resawing.  Yes, it's aggressive, and
perhaps one of the more dangerous of bandsaw
blades.  FWIW.

It doesn't do tight corners all that well, but
it's not inclined to wander around either.  The
gentle curves of most of the block are no
problem.  It can be a bit more of a challenge
with the notch area, but that's a challenge to
get really good regardless of the saw or blade.
Many of the originals didn't necessarily fit well
to begin with either.

Measure.  Remeasure.  Mark your lines carefully
with a SHARP pencil.  Take your time.  Cut
accurately.  (My personal line I say to myself
is, "You have all day, just do it right.")  An
accurate cut might save a lot of work fitting...
that is unless you're going to do an epoxy fit...
in which case "close really is good enough".

Good luck,

Brian T.

--- David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> What would you all say is the optimum band saw
> width for rough cutting the pin block to shape
> it to the flange.  Wider gives a more stable
> cut, but is less easy to turn.
>
> David Love

=====
Brian Trout