K52 Damper Felts on an 1883 Model F

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 22:03:11 -0400

At 11:18 PM -0400 5/8/02, Bill Ballard wrote:
>Thanks, Terry.
>
>In the future, I'll make my own sets. But even then, I'll still be
>facing the same two questions I now have. >#1) Just how short can
>they be be (everything else be properly prepared) and still provide
>prompt >damping in these tall uprights. The original was 1-5/8", new
>new Steinway and Yamaha big verticals are >an inch longer. #2) Just
>how far from a 50-50% centering on the damper block can these felts
>stray >and not fall apart.

Well I did swing up by the local Steinway agency up the river.  Their
K52 and my old F had nothing in common, including whether the damp
and the hammer butt were offset (as in Pratt, read actions), or both
on a double flange on a tubular rail frame (as in the 1883 F). But
the felt set in the new K52 was definitely not the same style as what
I had been shipped by NY Steinway. In fact it looked very much like
Kawai felts, heads and levers. Impressive work.

I've decided that I will chop stuff off the top end of the bass
dampers, to shorten their length. I'll also move the damper
dowel/block's centering from 50% down from the top (balanced in the
middle), to 25% or 33% down from the top. If the damper is properly
seat to the string, there should be no wrenching and jostling which
would need a centered damper block. I'm also making my own damper
blocks (3/8" tropical hardwood dowel at the local hardware store).
I've made them a standard size; whatever differences in distances
between string plane and action rail there may be, can be met with
varying thickness of a wooden (or back rail felt) platform/shoe
between the block and the head.

So thanks every one for their suggestions, and I hope I've stirred up
some interesting ideas.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I wish you kinda, like, good health"
     ...........NPR talk show host Terri Gross, responding to
"OutDoors" magazine correspondent John Krakauer's
tales of lost sleep and queasiness regarding his line of work,
after surviving a freak blizzard on Mt.Everest, which stranded
and killed several in his climbing party.