Just Intervals?

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 09 May 2002 17:42:08 -0700

At 06:39 PM 5/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Exactly my point! String players (generally) believe that a "just" major
>third is wider than tempered. Therefore, many performances of Bach
>Partitas and suites are done in these wider than tempered major thirds,
>including my own teacher! This seems impossible, but it is true. I
>observed a rehearsal of the Juilliard Quartet, the mentors for most
>American ensembles, in which every time a third seemed out of tune, they
>attempted to fix it by raising the third  (really high) to make it "pure".
>
>                                                Will talk some more,
>                                                Michael Meade, RPT

There, you see, I'm NOT crazy! We (well, a lot of us) likes 'em wide, as in
BIG and WIDE, with high major thirds and sixths, succeeded by skinny svelte
little semitones. (Glad you showed up, Michael.)

I have some more discussing to do with Bradley, which may help to sum up my
mental model for intervals and string intonation.

Susan Kline, B.Mus., M.Mus., was a performing cellist, now an RPT. Played
quartets (for a living) as part of orchestra jobs, etc., but not at the
level Michael has. I did play quite a bit in piano combinations for a few
years there, before I ever learned piano tuning. Intonation with a piano
wasn't a problem, not like intonation inside a string quartet. I think that
this is because string players on their own have such a variety of fairly
plausible intonations, a much wider variety than a piano offers. The
variations all come in thirds and sixths, or nearly all.