tuning <> TUNING

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 12:03:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

With my little experience, I can't (and wouldn't anyway) comment on Ed's
octaves or unisons on his CD. But I can share my personal reaction to what
I heard.

Hearing the Pathetique on Ed's earlier CD was the first time I had heard a
non-ET temperament (other than my accidental non-ET tuning of my PSO,
which actually made the piano sound pretty good).

In my first listen I was curious if I'd notice anything different. The
first thing I noticed were some chromatic passages that stood out to me as
not being in ET. Then I listened a little more closely and noticed the key
color in the different chords. Most notable was the purer sounding G Major
chord in the opening passage, and the pure C-E interval in various places.
Then the second movement blew me away. I can't even begin to describe how
it affected me, especially after I was introduced to some of the deeper
ideas associated with the various key colors. I'm happy I have the rest of
my life to learn more about temperaments and key color.

This isn't an argument against people who prefer ET. It's just my own
reaction, for what it's worth.

Charles Neuman