HT's in RPT exam? was Re: Jorgensen vs Isacoff

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:56:47 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/02 10:44:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net (Charles Neuman) writes:

> That's pretty interesting. I'm curious about something. What would you do
> if someone approached you and said they wanted to take the tuning exam in
> a specific non-ET temperament? The examining committee could be made up of
> HT-friendly people. Would you be allowed to do that? Just curious. If
> someone tried that, that would be an interesting precedent.

Yes, it would be interesting all right, interesting enough for me to get into
more trouble than I ever have before so no, I would not do it.  Besides, the
Exam is a theoretical and hypothetical situation.  It's not really like any
real life tuning because it breaks the tuning skills up into parts.  Using ET
as a standard for the Exam is fine by me because it is very challenging.  The
Exam results are also audited by the Examinations and Test Standards
Committee.  Using another standard besides ET might present a problem since
that committee is only used to working with ET.

Many people have thought that I am out to "change the Exam".  Let me make it
clear that it is not nor ever has been my intention.  But this also does not
mean that because ET is used for the Exam that I accept the notion that some
people have that PTG is dictating a standard by which we must all comply.
This is not in the bylaws or Code of Ethics even though some people feel it
is implied or an "unwritten rule".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin