wholesale?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:17:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/02 10:41:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
josephspiano@attbi.com writes:

> I was trying to price out some accessories for a customer using my normal
> piano parts suppliers. i.e., Schaff, Pianotek and compared their
> "wholesale"  prices to retail prices offered by any number of on-line
> distributors. For example:
> <A HREF="http://www.mypianoshop.com/tools/">http://www.mypianoshop.com/tools/</A>
>
> Not only do many such companies offer free shipping their retail prices
> are, in some instances, lower than what we piano techs can get at the
> supply houses. So much for even considering a mark up on our end. Plus the
> shipping.
>
> Any comments on this annoying situation? Are the suppliers to the supply
> houses really under cutting us by selling direct to what I would call
> "jobbers" or are the supply houses just gouging our checkbooks?
>

> Joseph Alkana  RPT

Joe

Are you asking from the stand point of us (piano tuners), buying this stuff,
and maybe getting some of the product for less on line? Or are you asking
from the stand point that the general public will be able to buy things that
have in the past only been available through us?

In regard to the first stand point. It's a free country. Any one can buy or
sell a product at any price. If you are satisfied with the service you get
from the on line company, and their prices are lower, then by all means, buy
it from them. Personally, I will continue to buy from companies I know and
trust, for the same reason I want my customers to continue to buy my
services. I hope my customers are willing to pay maybe a little higher price
because they are satisfied with my credibility, performance, service and
maybe even my good looks, (sic).

As far as the second stand point. I don't think there are going to be enough
customers who will go to the trouble to find products with which they are not
going to be familiar, to take money out of our pockets. Piano customers, for
the most part, do not know enough about their instrument to know what to look
for. They might be able to get a bench, or bench cover, but that's about all.
I don't think the public will know enough to buy and install a damp chaser
system, or tools to repair and tune their own piano.

The bottom line is, if you can get the same product for less, with the same
service you've gotten from the other companies, go for it. Best of luck to
you, and them.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Wim