wholesale?

Greg Torres Tunapiana440@cox.net
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:54:05 -0500

Best,
Greg

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Alkana=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 11:03 AM
  Subject: Re: wholesale?

  Terry,
  I'm not sure you and I are looking at this the same way. Take the =
dolly with 5" castors. Price at My Piano Shop is $295.00. The price I =
pay at Schaff is $160.00. It is general practice to "keystone", or =
double our cost to the retail customer plus add our shipping which =
according to my invoice from last year was about $40.00. That will bring =
the unit's cost to the customer to around $360.00. If I want to compete =
with the online retailer I've got to beat the $295 price or lose the =
sale. I can't do that and still make a profit.=20

  The Hands Off fallboard  lock is another item I get asked about a lot. =
Schaff's price is $48.00 my cost, which translates to $96.00 retail to =
my customer. Plus sales tax of $8.45.I can get it myself for $59.95 at  =
many online stores. And not pay our state sales tax.=20

  Either the piano supply houses or the suppliers to these house are =
selling to on line marketers at prices we can't compete with. That's my =
point. And for what it's worth, I see this as an increasing challenge =
(threat) to our attempts to retail merchandise.=20

  I had url references showing Dampp Chaser products for sale but have =
lost the source. As I recall, the situation was the same, with out the =
door prices to online shoppers far below the ridiculous figures =
suggested by Dampp Chaser in their latest literature to us techs.

  Am I missing something here or don't any of you really think it's =
worth getting an eyebrow raised over?

  Joseph Alkana  RPT
  josephspiano@attbi.com
    ----- Original Message -----=20