Plate and Rim (was Re: Tension Resonator)

Wed, 8 May 2002 09:29:01 -0700

Phil,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're assuming that there is some
substantial amount of load being transferred from the string plane through
the plate to the rim. I've not found this to be the case. String tension is
nearly all supported and contained within the plate--trace the lines of
force. Even with the Steinway design with its plate horn and wedge there is
not all that much string load transferred to the rim--especially when the
wedge left out or lost.

I once joked that if all we had to worry about was the string load a few #10
wood screws would be sufficient to hold the plate in the rim. Of course
there's a bit more to it than that. The greatest strain is placed on the rim
bolts/screws during moving or shipping. Even a lightly built plate is rather
heavy and dumping a wheel in that first pothole would probably rip those #10
wood screws right out of that Select Hardwood rim and the whole thing would
end up on the floor. While it is a formidable task holding a 200 to 500
pound (90 to 230 kgf) iron casting in place and it would seem that a good
friction fit between the plate and the rim would be essential, even the
Baldwin system seems to do an adequate job.

Among the primary functions of the plate are (first) to support string
tension and (second) to establish and maintain a desired relationship
between the string plane and the soundboard/bridge assembly. If nothing was
changing or shifting my #10 wood screws might well be adequate. But even the
most well-designed rim assembly is going to shift and twist with changes in
relative humidity--at least they will as long as they are made of wood. If
the rim is able to do this independently of the plate there will be changes
in the string plane to bridge/soundboard relationship that will result in
tuning instability. If the plate is fastened to the rim such that the two
essentially form an integral whole these changes in relationship will be
minimized and tuning stability will be improved.

Taken from this perspective there are any number of fastening systems that
are adequate to the task.

Regards,

Del