442 & back

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:39:12 +0200

Hello Isaac.

I read in Wolfenden that the brass instruments in orchestras are tuned =
to A 440 Hz, but they all have this ennoying feature to dramatically =
raise pitch (up to A 444 Hz) during concert performance, through warming =
up when played.  So A 442 Hz would have been chosen to allow the whole =
performance (brass plus other more stable instruments) to be reasonably =
in tune, or, so to say, half less out of tune.
Is it so ?  (Wolfenden is talking in beginning of this century, maybe =
brass instruments have evolved since then).

Best regards,

St=E9phane Collin
(Brussels, Belgium)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG SIMANOT=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:15 PM
  Subject: RE: 442 & back

  Hello, Steve

  Even Yamaha pianos are build for the 442 pitch lately I guess,( I've =
read that on their guarantee card) so it will not affect structure of =
the piano anyway.

  The fact is that everyone (musicians) here is asking for "concert =
pitch" 442 as a standard.

  Then, having to change pitch any direction is always a hassle, when I =
have to do that for Radio France for example, I need to be allowed to =
bring the piano to his desired pitch 2 days before the event, so it can =
stabilize better. After that the pitch stay as it is since another =
express demand comes.

  On pianos with tensioned hammers, the difference in sound is sensible, =
and easily accepted by the instrument I believe, not that I don't like =
the 440 pitch, but I am more often dealing with 442, and get =
acquaintance with it.
  Beside, if I sing a A by memory it is the 440 that I learned in my =
younger days, and I am more close to it than to 442 (generally, I know =
David will not believe me, but I recognize any note instinctually, and =
have a good notion of A440 when not too tired)

  I wonder how high are your brass instruments tuned in USA ? Not that I =
am sure of that, but I believe that most brass and wind instruments in =
Europe are actually build to play at 442Hz .

  Any info from wind players ?

  All the best

  Isaac OLEG