442 & back

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 7 May 2002 22:15:27 +0200

Hello, Steve

Even Yamaha pianos are build for the 442 pitch lately I guess,( I've read
that on their guarantee card) so it will not affect structure of the piano
anyway.

The fact is that everyone (musicians) here is asking for "concert pitch" 442
as a standard.

Then, having to change pitch any direction is always a hassle, when I have
to do that for Radio France for example, I need to be allowed to bring the
piano to his desired pitch 2 days before the event, so it can stabilize
better. After that the pitch stay as it is since another express demand
comes.

On pianos with tensioned hammers, the difference in sound is sensible, and
easily accepted by the instrument I believe, not that I don't like the 440
pitch, but I am more often dealing with 442, and get acquaintance with it.
Beside, if I sing a A by memory it is the 440 that I learned in my younger
days, and I am more close to it than to 442 (generally, I know David will
not believe me, but I recognize any note instinctually, and have a good
notion of A440 when not too tired)

I wonder how high are your brass instruments tuned in USA ? Not that I am
sure of that, but I believe that most brass and wind instruments in Europe
are actually build to play at 442Hz .

Any info from wind players ?

All the best

Isaac OLEG