strings -- buzzing, ringing

Tue, 07 May 2002 18:39:29 +0200

Charles Neuman wrote:

> I'd really like to hear people's techniques for fixing buzzing or ringing
> problems in strings. (My string problem seems to be solved, but I'm
> interested in the topic in general.)
>
> Some questions:
>
> At what point do you start sanding the v-bar?

Pretty much at the time of restringing.

> Under what circumstances would you change the pressure bar height?

Only if its not down far enough.

> At what point do you decide to replace the string?

When they break or get too much corrosion, or have just plain had the life
beaten out of them.

> Have you encountered string problems that you can't fix?

Yes

> Does hammer voicing ever help?

Oh yes but voicing is done from its own perspective and not from a string
noise one. Ok... perhaps a bit of overlaping here.. but not much really.

> Do you recommend any specific techniques?

First identify where exactly the string buzz is coming from. This can be
sometimes pretty difficult. Sometimes you can get fooled by the light fixture
on the other side of the room, or the panel oven right next to the window.
But when you know exactly where the buzz is coming from, the solution most
often presents itself as well.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.