A certain technician's workmanship

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 7 May 2002 01:07:52 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Leslie B. Klein <leslieklein@comcast.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 10:16 PM
Subject: Newton Hunt's workmanship

| I am considering hiring Newton Hunt to service my Mason &
Hamlin Model A.The |piano is 67 years old and has the
original action. I want him to make the piano the best |it
can be and improve its durability.  He proposes to do the
following: {estimate with |prices given}

Actually the truth of the matter might be in letting the
piano alone, not doing anything to it.   You say it is 67
years old which means it was built in 1935.  You say it has
"original action".   Does it also have original strings?
How is the original finish?  How are the ivories?  If all of
these are good,  your piano could be a museum piece in 50 to
100 to 200 years and worth a lot more if you don't do
anything to it now.  But how would you know---its a matter
of speculation.
    In 1933 all piano companies were suffering from a huge
sales decline because of the Great Depression.   Rather than
lay off their highly skilled work force some factories tried
to keep them employed by making fewer pianos but increasing
the quality since teh assembly line had more time.    Each
company had different policies and practices.  If Mason and
Hamlin did this,  your piano, if in original condition could
be an example of the highest achievement of piano making in
American history.   Is this an "Aeolian Mason?" A lot of
"ifs" but it really depends on what you want to use your
piano for.   How are the ivories? Is the case shiney?  Did
it sit for years and years in a Hoboken mansion with a
quilted cover and not played?
     How much work it "really" needs depends on how much use
it has had until now.    For example, "new wippins"
(optional) can mean they are good for at least another 5 to
50 or more  years.   Depending of course on how much use
until then.   If the piano is used 300 hours a year, then go
for the whole enchilada.  But don't expect much difference.
$2300 now for the non optional work may seem like a lot, but
sooner or later you will have to pay it if you are wearing
the piano out, or pay more later on.  And if playing it that
much,  you don't want it to get where it feels awful to
play, that would be determental to you, which after all is
the most important part of the equation we are being asked
to evaluate.
 Oh.....the question was,
"Can anybody comment on his workmanship?"
 I have not seen his work.
    I would say if you have to ask this question, you should
find someone who has had a piano rebuilt that you really
like and ask who that technician was.   How did you get
Newton's name?   If he came highly recomended your inquiry
here is redundant, a waste of your time and ours.  If you
just picked him out of the phone book you probably picked a
few others and have their estimates.   If not please get
other
estimates and feel free to "publish" them here, with of
course the approval of that technician.   But who would
agree to that?    -==-ric