pianotech-digest V2002 #720

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:01:26 -0700

Ed Foote Wrote:

"Maybe I missed something on the removal of grand felts from the
damper heads, but why use such involved processes like strips of cloth?  I
just soak the felts themselves and let them sit for an hour,  they usually
just fall off."

Thank you Ed for your thoughts.  Several good points.  I went through all
this for those folks who do not want to number all the damper heads
indelibly.  If you have them on a rack board, you can soak them and pull one
out at a time for rinsing.  However, If the factory or you have
metal-stamped them with numbers that will not wash off like pencil and some
ink will, and you don't worry about the lacquered side, then you can just
throw them all into a bucket of warm/hot water and then sort them out when
dry.  If you have the original lacquer on the heads then it will turn white
and will not be usable when  finished.  A new lacquer finish will be
required.  The old ones were finished in shellac and it does not work well
with water.  I have done it several different ways and they all work some
take longer than others.  You will have to find your own method.  On
uprights when I am keeping the damper levers and want to unscrew them from
the action and number them, then by all means, just stick the heads down
into the hot water with levers and flanges sticking out.  The rag technique
is for leaving the action assembled.

Ed Foote wrote:
 "Also,  I haven't had any problems with attaching damper felt with hot hide
glue while there is still a coat of old hide glue on the damper heads.  The
moisture and heat of the new glue certainly softens up the old, but it is
well-attached itself. Anyway, I have many many sets of damper felts around
town, and none of them are failing."

I have worked extensively with player systems, pipe organs and reed organs.
They all originally used hot hide glue extensively.  I have had to
re-restore many items that others have restored just a few years ago.  I
have found that other glues do not alway dry correctly when used over old
glue.  They will sometimes dry and then the chemical reaction sets in and
the new glue becomes an emulsion and slides off with wear and time.  I have
noticed this to a lesser extent with new hot glue.  Sometimes it just falls
off.  It does have a better track record gluing to its old self than with
others gluing to old hot hide glue.

D.L. Bullock   St. Louis