Well-Tuned Duplexes (was!Re: Songwriters, ect.)

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 May 2002 18:33:52 EDT

Regarding comments and questions that are arising from the recent Duplex
Tuning
classes I gave in Valley Forge and at Burlington there are a few points that
might be worthwhile to mention here. I was delighted that at both these
conventions we were fortunate to have excellent specimen instruments to work
on in the seminars. Having instruments that are in fine condition in terms of
board, block, strings, hammers and tuning to work on makes the effect of
placement of the duplex scale contiguous harmonic bridges more effective. In
Valley Forge I had an S & S rebuilt by Webb Phillips, with Abel Hammers and
voiced by Wally Brooks, and at NEECSO I had an S & S rebuilt by Alan Day with
new stuff, also voiced by Wally. In both these cases the increase in sustain
by fine placement of the duplexes was dramatic.

One question that I appear to have slighted in one class concerned the use of
measurements to place the duplexes. I distinctly recall using the Duplex
Equation posterboard in a few classes, but I may have missed one. The Duplex
Equation is simply the algebraic representation of the acoustic relationship
of the two string lengths, the speaking length and the duplex length with the
third factor being the number of the partial of the speaking length that is
the fundamental of the duplex portion. The equation is D x P = X. Where D is
the duplex length, P the partial, and X the speaking length. The reason i
don't dwell on this theoretical relationship is in my experience that the
numbers don't come out perfectly most of the time. There is always a margin
of error, slight though it may be. I find it more practical and useful to
tune the duplexes by ear, tap tuning the bridges till I get the segments in
tune.

The second point I'd like to mention was an experiment i did on the NEECSO A
turning the tuning pins down about a quarter turn,  80 degrees, which I find
necessary in order to move the duplexes with accuracy and ease. Shawn is a
notable rebuilder and his concern deserved my serious concern so I borrowed a
torque wrench and  took sample unison readings from five notes from the
section I was working on. Lowell Wakker was present and helped me read some
of the numbers. I was a bit more than surprised to find that there was zero
average  variation of torque readings before and after the procedure. In a
few pins the reading lowered from 138 to 137 and in a few others the reading
actually went up to 140, probably from the resetting of the pin. Out of 15
pins the torque on 11 or 12 was exactly the same.

Hope these comments are helpful. If there are any more, fire away.

Dan Franklin