offset chart for EBVT?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Mon, 06 May 2002 13:45:16 -0400

Tom Sivak asked:

I copied an offset chart for EBVT posted some time ago and have been using it
happily with RCT for about a year. It produces a pleasing temperament with
just enough color to make it interesting.  I am very happy with the results,
but...

Hoping to improve my product I went to Bill Bremmer's web site and copied the
temperament sequence to tune it aurally and found that the RCT offset I've
been using is not correct.  F-A, G-B, and C-E should all beat equally, and
this offset chart consistently produces a C-E which is faster than the other
two.

Does any one have an offset chart for EBVT....
<<<<

Tom, the offsets that you posted are quite a bit different from the
ones that I figured out a while ago.  Here is my best guess:

C    6.24
C#    .71
D    2.07
D#   1.95
E   -1.07
F    4.32
F#  -1.24
G    6.31
G#   2.77
A      0
A#   2.15
B    1.01

Note that this is not exactly what is found in TuneLab because the
TuneLab version is shifted so the average offset is zero, whereas
I have shifted the above chart in accord with the more common
convention where the offset for A is zero.  The chart shown is
therefore high on average by 2.10 cents.  The offsets were
calculated by following Bill's aural instructions as applied to
a software simulation of a tuning, where average inharmonicity
is assumed.

-Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties