Curve on Bridge Bottom

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 10:44:48 -0500

> I think you will end up with the board
>just the same as if you had left the clamps in a straight line.

Yes, or if you had just centered the clamp on each rib and gotten on with
it. The magic and compromises are in the design, not in the rib clamps.
Spruce is only too happy to creep and cancel any of these diabolically
subtle torsional forces you might try to fool it with by creative clamping.
You are, after all, forcing a plane into a vaguely spherical shape. It will
happily accommodate you. Try that with something relatively non-compliant,
like sheet steel.

>Yikes! I think I need to finish my clamps and get some spruce and start
>cutting and gluing and observing!

Yep.

>Maybe the bottom line is: Do it! Shut up! Don't worry about it! And see how
>it turns out. If it is bad, do something different next time.

Just don't sweat the small stuff. The real brain strainers are still a
couple of layers beyond.

>Maybe I got too much think in my clamp.  :-)
>
>Terry Farrell

I could probably use a little more in at least a couple of mine.

Ron N