Curve on Bridge Bottom

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 May 2002 11:56:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2002 8:19:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

         Ron wrote
> I've seen a few (not counting verticals) that were far from horizontal, but
> I'll buy the "plane" part. I've heard a lot of talk about contouring the
> rim to the soundboard curve, but I don't know how far off plane (if at all)
> that this has been taken. It mostly seems to be just beveling. I never
> actually took the trouble to try to measure how far off plane the rim top
> was - since it wasn't likely that I'd try to change it anyway.

          Ron Terry And All
>>After the posts this week on this subject I went out to measure the S&S L
that I posted about. I measured from the top of the case to inner rim and
from the floor up to the rim bevel. Both measurements showed a dead flat
plane.
  As to the enormous amount of crown along the grain. I checked rib scales
between the S&S Os to the L rib scale. The rib heights on the L scale were
quite a bit taller which ,with the different board shape and 60ft. crowned
ribs in the middle accounts for the noticeable visual increase in crown along
the grain and not any factory gymnastics with the rim contours, at least in
this case.
    I do remember reading an article in ptj some years ago about the S&S guys
changing the rim shape in the diaphramtic models ,of which this L isn't one.
Seems they raised the trble edge to meet the board sooner in an attempt to
reduce the bending strains we've discussed. I'll have to go back and read it
again.