Temperament, who decides?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 6 May 2002 02:08:16 -0500

Subject: Reply to Ted (temperament stuff)

|     I am also not sure how we may regard  ET as
"official".  It may have
| become whatever it is by default, but the only "official"
aspect of it is
| that it is the test temperament for the PTG.  This doesn't
mean it is what
| the world really wants.

And who knows what the world really wants.....   ?  Do you?

I think we must consider the over-all aspect of the "music
industry which includes the music produced by the "music
industry".
Like it or not, tunings for the "music industry" (2002)
should be ET unless a written contract is signed to tune
something else.  Until then you can aproach the "music
industry"
and say you have a new and exciting "temperament" but if
they don't want it -- consider you didn't make the audition.

Decisions about how the piano will be tuned reside with the
musicians or sometimes the producers.    Never with the
tuners as far as the Music Industry (M I) is concerned.
If you don't realize this, please don't consider tuning
other than ET for any MI situation.   If you doubt this
please ask yourself, why would the musician expect you to
tune other than ET in an M I situation?.   If  you truly
don't know the answer, or can't accept ET as the standard,
or think you think you know something better than ET for the
situation... please make it known , and then get
ACCEPTANCE. ! !
 If not, what is the problem of tuning ET ??  If you can't
or
won't,  think of it as  facing an audition.  A good ET gets
the job. Also consider how  many of today's highly paid
professional Music Industry musicians probably know a
little or a lot more about temperaments than the few
non musician "tooners" who for some reason are trying
to persuade the highly educated musicians to tune
differently.
    If the musicians want it, they will ask for it.  Until
then why
should the tuner worry?
                    ===ric