Newbie; Cleaning actions

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sun, 5 May 2002 22:05:10 -0700

> 2. A quick question on cleaning actions: The old upright I am restoring
has
> an extremely dirty action. It is very very dusty. How would you go about
> cleaning this? I would be interested in hearining how you would go about
> doing this with a minimum set of tools ("the hard way"), or in an
> established shop.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your replies.
>
> Regards,
> /Claudia

As Mr. Nichols says, tighten all the screws and now is the time to fix any
stripped ones. I use my small shop vac with the crevesing tool taped
smaller. What I mean is, make your shop vac into a blower and use duct tape
to make the opening on the crevassing tool about 1/2 across. The air
velocity is enough to rattle things and blow off any loose felts. Plenty
strong and a lot more forgiving than an air compressor. In a customers home
I tape a pillow case over the exhaust and the dust problem with a shop vac
is gone. Certainly not a high tech filter, but hey!
Keith R