Just Intervals?

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sun, 05 May 2002 17:59:11 -0700

I am trying to work on a good definition for just intervals, but I am kind of stuck . . .

I have all the just intervals worked out (i.e. smallest ratios):
P5  3/2
P4  4/3
M6  5/3
M3  5/4
m7  7/4
m3  6/5
TT  7/5
m6 8/5
M7 9/5
M2  7/6
m2  8/7

This takes care of the simple ratio aspect, but it doesn't really address the psychoacoustical aspect of beating. You only get beating if you have overtones (sine tones will not create beats even if they are set out-of-tune; you will only hear very, very slight flutterings). Since overtones on the piano grow sharp because of inharmonicity, it's possible to set an interval just (non-beating) but then the fundamental ratios are slightly expanded.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bradley M. Snook