to A442 & back(D)

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Sun, 5 May 2002 14:16:24 EDT

In a message dated 05/05/2002 2:41:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

> This is interesting to me as I have never observed an 8 cent correction
> that was as unstable as all you folks lead one to believe.  Could it
> possibly be because the piano is older and the strings just aren't
> rendering as well anymore? If unequal tensions are set up in the various
> string segments that could certainly account for the gross instability that
> is so often talked about.  Any thoughts?
>
> Greg Newell

Hi Greg,list,
 I have noticed instability is a lot greater at lowering the pitch, compared
to a pitch raise.An 8 cents overpull I can get stability,usually very
easily,but pulling down the pitch,especially in the bass,is a major fight.
Hazen Bannister