to A442 & back(D)

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sun, 5 May 2002 10:00:34 -0400 (EDT)

    Finding this an interesting discussion.

    Did the D this morning and it was just fine,
stable, was at A440. Barely moved things at all.

    Going from A442 to A440, I had spent 1.5 hrs,
to make 2.5 passes the day before, It moved allot
through that first pass, less second, third was good,
but I was suspicious of how it would hold, was fine.

    Just to clarify for some who seem surprised
at 8 cents causing "such" instability. We are not
talking about so bad as not to pass. I became
very fussy with this instrument lately.

 I have been spoiled by doing this piano 16 times last
month, this instrument became a pet project to see
how far I could go refining what I do. It was
extreamly stable, where I wanted, and the day
they decided they wanted A442, I would not even have
had to tune it, it was in great shape.

    I think my expectations for this piano had
gone up, and if we use a fine enough microscope
things always move a bit. I was getting spoiled,
and A442 meant 2 double tunings over 2 days to get it
up and back down when I had only booked one spot
, and was fully booked, with no extra time.

So I have a remaining question.

Why do strings sometime climb bridge pins?
Is a flexing board enough on a big piano
as I have suggested?

                      Dave Renaud
                      RPT

Games, Movies, Music & Sports! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca