to A442 & back(D)

Sun, 05 May 2002 14:49:51 +0200

Greg Newell wrote:

> This is interesting to me as I have never observed an 8 cent correction
> that was as unstable as all you folks lead one to believe.  Could it
> possibly be because the piano is older and the strings just aren't
> rendering as well anymore? If unequal tensions are set up in the various
> string segments that could certainly account for the gross instability that
> is so often talked about.  Any thoughts?
>
> Greg Newell

Me neither Greg.

I just  did a 440 to 442 pitch change and back again last week on a D. Actually
it was from 442 to 440 and back to 442.  An American blues group came in and
demanded the pitch be at 440 so we simply had to lower it.  No biggie really,
tho I always end up useing an extra 15 minutes or so. I wouldnt call that gross
instability by any means.

Same thing going back up.  Never  heard this idea that changing pitch had
anything to do with strings climbing up the pins before either.  Cant really
see why they should unless there is some major negative bearing just waiting to
get released.... but might be fun to take a look see next time I do one of
these.

I figure on 2 full concert tunings for these jobs and set off 2 hours each,
usually am done satisfying myself in 1.5 hours.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.