to A442 & back(D)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 07:55:29 -0400

David,

My thoughts exactly.  But when the intonation in relation to other instruments
is important, I guess one can't fault the first performer arriving for doing a
check.

But for a solo piano concert, I bet an extremely small percentage of performers,
or piano technicians for that matter, would be able to tell for sure, without
any outside reference, whether the piano is at A439 or A442.  That's partly why
I react negatively to the thought that every piano in every situation has to be
tuned at A440, as was suggested on this list a couple weeks ago by someone (I
don't remember who), especially on average pianos in private homes.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA