Curve on Bridge Bottom

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 04 May 2002 21:15:38 -0500

>> >                                        Richard, Terry
>> >                       It doesn't take much to flatten an unsupported rib
>> as
>> > it  doesn't really take on its maximum stiffness till after it becomes
>> part
>> > of the ply wood componet comprising the whole soundboard system at which
>> > point the cumulative resistive forces of cross banded woods and
>> compression
>> > takes effect.  I agree with Ron that the bridge because of its shape
>> simply
>> > rotates as the board flattens but there is still some nominal resistance
>> > bearing. Every little bit does some good. 100 lbs is a 100 lbs which IF
>> that
>> > is what it is, is roughly the same reisistance as one rib

>> And we all know how often the soundboard goes flat in the low treble area,
>> crowned bridge or not.
>>
>> Ron
>

>       And crowned ribs or not

Hi Dale,
I see I screwed that up pretty good. I intended to say "low TENOR", since
that's where Terry's bridge test was. The answer being, nearly never. You're
right about low trebles, crowned ribs or not, but that just means they made the
ribs too light and/or long to do their job, or loaded the board too heavily in
the wrong places. That doesn't happen with your boards - or mine - or Del's.

Ron N