improvements

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 04 May 2002 18:37:56 -0600

At 03:41 PM 04/05/02 -0700, Carl wrote:

>Anyone know?  If it is true then it's not too surprising to me that they
>would have enough clout and are large enough to intimidate the government
>to bail them out.

I have no idea about that. With yuppies with too much money spending it on
Beamers and $50K Martin and Gibson guitars I wouldn't have thought there
would be a problem selling Steinways these days.

>Actually, I had rebuilt pianos in mind when I wrote that.  Note that I
>used the phrase "sometimes equal quality" when discussing other
>brands.  I'll give you an example:  A budding young pianist that I
>maintained a grandmothers gift piano for then became the proud owner of an
>SS "B" bought at great expense by her parents.  This was a new piano, I
>don't know who sold it or anything else but others that saw the piano
>labeled it mediocre at best.

I've seen that more than a few times, and in every case after a couple of
years of playing and regulating they've blossomed into very nice pianos
even if they aren't "perfect". I can think of one 24 year old D in
particular that people wouldn't even play when it was new, but now they say
"I love that old piano".

>Now at about the same time I had a "rebuilt, what ever that means" Hardman
>6'10" grand that I'd say was certainly in the same ball park (1908) as the
>SS B.
>Now an SS B of the same era rebuilt to the same level or even less would
>have brought about 35-40 thousand dollars.  I finally at great  effort and
>a little bit of luck got $15500 for the Hardman.   This is what I mean
>about gettin 2-3 times for one brand over another.

Well, you can't buy a new Hardman anymore, but you can buy a brand new B
and there are lots of used rebuilt Bs around. I would think you're bound to
get more for an instrument that is still in production and virtually unchanged.

Anyone know what a well-rebuilt M&H BB sells for these days? I'll wager
it's close to that of the equivalent Steinway if you can find one.

>I realize that this one example is only anecdotal evidence, but I like
>anecdotal evidence.

I could give you *lots* of positive anecdotal evidence about Steinways too.

It's a fact that new, used and rebuilt Steinways bring a much higher price
than other brands. I think part of that is because they're still making the
same pianos they were making 100 years ago.

>I don't have any problem with anything else you said.  I don't have too
>much experience with all these many different new and improved mouse traps
>tht are on the market these days.

Me either, really. I did have the opportunity to compare a 47 year old
almost all original D with a fairly new Yamaha CF-III recently. The D still
blows the proverbial doors off the Yamaha, IMO.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html