OFF (*was: neurology)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 4 May 2002 18:11:29 EDT

David writes:
>The biggest issue I see is where does one hear them all to decide which
one/ones are
> appropriate for the situation?  Seeing the offsets written down, or a graph
> showing the offsets are interesting intellectual exercises, but how can
>we actually listen to them and compare without risking the wrath of a
>non-adventurous client or staid store owner by HT-ing their pianos?

  It is impossible to embrace new territory without risk,so accept the fact
that you may be asked to retune a piano to ET.  However, if you start with
the mildest, like the Broadwood or Coleman 11, the chances of that happening
are quite small, but the rewards can be great. What you want to do is to get
the tuning under the hands of the pianist with as little talk as possible and
let the musical differences guide the value judgements.
   I used to use the Young to introduce the alternative approach, but there
were a number of pianists for whom that was too much, too soon.  I haven't
had that problem with the beginning listener whent the widest thirds are only
18 cents,(Broadwoods Best).
   The store owner might be very interested to find out that the console in a
Young or Broadwood tuning will generally sell before any of the
others..........
   A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are for.
Regards,
ED Foote RPT