Rock concert, hearing damage wake up call

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sat, 4 May 2002 17:38:18 -0400

List,
 Attended a rock concert the other day at an outdoor festival. Actually this
is one of the few concerts I've attended in the past 20 yrs., where I was
there only as an audience member and not working.
Maybe I'm just getting older or maybe my hearing is becoming that much more
sensitive and accute, but as I approached the concert area the pounding of
the decimals were defeaning.  My party had reserved seats in the 10th row
from the stage and were so proud of the view. Me, I moved back to the far
end of the area to protect my losses. Even with ear plugs, which I might add
I was the only one wearing any protection in our section, the sound is
brutal.
What I found absolutely amazing was the total disregard most rock concert
goers still have toward protecting their hearing. They just sat there as
though they were listening to a harpsicord concert and took the pounding
like it was nothing.
It's like the smoking issue, people know the harm yet they pretend the
damage isn't going to occur.  What most still don't get is that in a short 2
hr. window severe irreprepable hearing damage can occur.
I know I'm preaching to the choir but this issue really is still not
understood by the masses.
Just my 2 cents
Tom Servinsky,RPT