to A442 & back(D)

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 4 May 2002 12:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
wrote:

> Not sure I am with you here..... are you saying that
> tuning down pitch
> causes strings to need seating ?...

No, it came up 8 cents then down 8 cents.
My thinking is when it was pitch raised I think the
board moved down a bit, the strings may not follow.
This is conjecture on my part, looking for others
input.

> Hey.... as long as you are getting paid for all the
> work involved... why
> should anyone refuse a legitimate job ?

 So why refuse. Because I am searching for a higher
standard then I find I can produce 8 cents up, 8 cents
down, 8 cents up.....

  I don't mean refuse the Job, but refuse to change
pitch that much. This is used for TV broadcast
sometimes. There is no way the piano is going to be
as stable.  I want it to sound its best more then
I want more work. I have too much work anyway, it
is a problem. This piano was done 16 times last month.
Before I pitch raised it it was stable as a rock.
I had refined my tuning, experimented with the
stretch.
I had never used tunelab before, but used the fact I
as doing this piano so often to experiment with
the program by analyizing the way I tune aurally,
negotiated with tunelab, Measured the inharmicity of
every bass note(for interest),I ended up
memorizing/saving my best aural tuning on
it with the program. It was sounding very, very good,
Strings seated and level, voiced, and very getting
extreamly stable. Now it appears to have taken two
steps back. A high standard is far more important
then making more work, and having a weaker product
for it.
                         Thanks
                         Dave Renaud
                         RPT