OFF (*was: neurology)

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 4 May 2002 16:00:25 +0200

Hello,

I would say that most of the very good professional pianists I have talked
with  have their taste of the tuning /ner baser on "his temperament" , so
they are aware of the tonal differences, even if they are not explaining it
clearly.

The best tuners (few) I've meet generally stick to their temperament
(sequence), and it is clearly tonally checked. When tuning after them it
goes from what will be probably called "reverse Well" , to something where
the fifths are enlarged in the low medium to obtain the fuller tone there,
and the temperament is tweaked to adjust on this.

Having the chance of hearing with a very "perfect" ear, I can ear these
little differences even when the piano is played.
Sometime I like what it gives, sometimes it makes the grand sing as a
vertical.

The "perfect" even thirds and 10 - 17 ths progression is called by pianists
here "German tuning", and I believe it is the Steinway method learned in
Hamburg. A very good piano will accept that without any rigidity, when, a
poor singing one will like better some well marked differences in tonal
changes.

But, focusing on the temperament (from the artist point of view) , can be a
big handicap, in my actual appreciation of the thing, for the artist to
express the feeling of the music played.
In short, I don't believe that tonal colors are related to emotions to the
point they can replace them.
Beside, with the pitch fluctuations that we have known, I am not sure that
the meaning of this can be scientifically demonstrated (like in Astrology if
you see what I mean)

I am far from being able to use a specific temperament given, it is hard
enough to be a consistent tuner and to build tone in  the best way at every
tuning/piano, and I don't believe really in EDT for HT (anyway for clearly
tune good HT)

I like the cycle of fifths more and more since I discover it can almost
always be recon ciliated in 17 ths and 10 ths. What I don't have yet is "my"
temperament... but it will come.

Regards.

Hope nobody is hurt

Isaac OLEG