improvements

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 4 May 2002 13:00:26 +1000

To all,

>>While looking at the cover of the current Piano Technicians
>>Journal, I got to thinking about all the ads and articles about new
>>and improved pianos.  Yamaha has come out with their "S" series,
>>Kawai the "RX" and now the Shigru.  The artical about the NAMM show
>>detailed many improvements in several other pianos.

And congratulations to them for at least having the courage to 'have
a go'. Thanks for bringing it up Dave.

>>Why is it that the only news from Steinway has been about new
>>looks?  New furniture around the same old scales.  The picture on
>>this month's cover is impressive, but it's the same old "D" inside.
>> Have they really already attained perfection?  Inquiring minds
>>want to know.

Unfortunately, for those who dare to contribute something of worth to
the evolution of the acoustic piano - while ever the 'Piper of old'
continues to call the tune, there would seem to be millions of
'bleating sheep' willing to follow. Mediocrity rules!

At 11:27 AM -0400 3/5/02, Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

>I look at it the other way. Why do all the other manufacturers have
>to keep coming out with new models?

Because occasionally Wim, some thankfully dare to question the wisdom
of what's gone before. The supreme tragedy is that there are some who
really do apply their abilities to understanding the nature of the
beast, and after some consideration, dare to build an improved
version of the former mouse trap only to be overruled by the noisier
traditionalists with all the marketing clout.

>  That tells me that even they are not satisfied with what they have
>been building, and need to improve. Doesn't say much for the
>previous pianos from the same company, does it?

Yes it does Wim. The previous model probably represents the current
thinking of the time. It's not a tragedy to review a design if a real
improvement is achieved. The real tragedy is that there are some who
choose to revere the creations of the past to such an extent, that
they become incapable of noticing the creations of beauty in their
own time.

Ron O.
--
                  OVERS PIANOS