improvements

Fri, 03 May 2002 09:27:41 +0200

Yepp... its a beautiful looking instrument alright.... As for
perfection.... well let me just make myself perfectly clear....

Todays Bergens Tidene (local paper) did an article on one of Norways
best know pianists... classic eductated but pretty much sticks to what I
can only term as  "new-age psuedo improv". He just did an album
featuring some old folk melodies played on an 1860's Pleyel. Now I know
this instrument as it was me who tuned it for the album. It was rebuilt
some years ago and rescaled at the time.... brand new wire was used...
the rebuilder says that old wire types were not available and the
origional wire on the instrument was ruined.  The new bass wires are
even hex core bass wire I think... but I am not sure.

The fellow did a fine job of making the instrument playable... all
workmanship was really good... but the scaleing of this instrument is
moons away from the origional. The bass is kind of rich, full, and with
that wonderfull kind of mellow growl that seems to be common on these
older forte's... but the treble was hoplessly flawed with inharmonicity
problems that made the piano really untuneable by modern standards.

Regardless... this pianist is just plain enthralled by this
instrument... he has this idea that it is a true historical
representative of how instruments used to sound, and how wonderfull they
can become as they age.. Regardless of the validity (or lack there of)
of his illusions about the instrument.... he is in love with how it
sounds and in the end.... thats whats important .... or what ? For
him.... this instrument is very much "perfection attained".

So.... has Steinway attained perfection ???? sure.... grin... depending
on who you talk to

jmtb

RicB

--