ACTION WEIGHTS

Thu, 02 May 2002 09:02:50 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

>  Richard writes:
>
> >But in direct answer to your query, yes and action can definatly have a
> >static DW of 50 grams and have overly heavy hammers at the same time.
> >You could have monster hammers and tons of leverage... which would
> >result in an akward playing action, probably accompanied with shallow
> >key dip...
>
>    Is this perhaps a typo?

Nope... thinking backwards late at nite...  should have written deep instead of
shallow. Sorry :)

> In order to have the leverage necessary to get a
> DW of 50 gr. with "monster" hammers (which I assume means heavy hammers), you
> will need an extremely long hammer stroke (keydip), or an extremely short
> blow distance.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

You could also have very short key ratio to lift heavy hammers.  There are three
levers ... no ? I just got done with a Schimmel action, with some bass hammers at
over 14 grams... the key ratio was 4.9 on average and still there was tons of
lead in the front.

Wrote two fast on the shallow key dip tho...grin.. should be reversed as the
shorter distance to the capstan means more travel distance in the front to lift
the same amount of distance... cant win em all :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.