Bass strings/Willem's response

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 May 2002 15:27:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/02 11:44:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
BobDavis88@AOL.COM writes:

> Unlike bass strings, treble strings do not become "shot."
>
> Yes, they do become fatigued. Take as an example a practice room piano
> which
> is used 12 hours a day. It may go through a set of treble strings in a few
> years. They may remain new and shiny looking, but they all break at the
> capo.
> The same process is at work on all pianos; the practice room situation just
> accelerates it.
>
> The customer isn't going to be happy with the instability of replacing
> treble
> strings one at a time. The extra day to do them all is well worth it. I
> never
> replace bass strings only unless the piano is VERY young and the bass
> strings
> are dead because of unusual circumstances. Someone else can take the
> headache
> of explaining to the client why his piano is never in tune.
>
> Bob Davis

If is it the "fatigue" that causes a string to break, then the strings in the
middle of a practice room piano would break all the time. The strings that
break most often are the ones at the top. It's the high tension, played hard,
for a long period of time in a row, without dampers to slow the string down.
I don't believe strings will become fatigued on a piano that's played
nominally, even one that's a hundred years old.

Wim