Sanderson Scaling/Terry F

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 01 May 2002 12:16:42 -0500

>What do all you rescaling experts think about bass scales that start
>with very lightly wound trichords low on the treble bridge, then into
>heavier bichord and monochord unisons? Intuitively, it sounds like a
>good idea to me, if smoothing the break as much as possible is the
>goal.
>
>-Tyler

Not remotely an expert, but from a tech with merely an opinion based on
experience - I don't like wrapped trichords. It's unlikely enough to get
two wrapped strings in a bichord that sound alike and tune together. It
seems to be nearly impossible with three. I find I can get better
transitions with bichords. Another problem is a transition from plain to
wrapped on the same bridge. Those wrapped strings should have significantly
shorter speaking lengths than the plain trichords just above, for them to
blend right. Even so, the original scale transition can most likely be
improved upon.

Ron N