TriChord wound Strings Question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 May 2002 10:06:03 -0700

I have seen several examples of Tri-Chord wound scales. Some were ok, but
others were a disaster. I personally don't think the Tri-Chord wound is as
effective as the designer wanted it to be. Tri-Chord wounds are usually
difficult to tune, in the unisons, because the "fudge" factor of the winding
equilibrium, is very minute, which leads to difficult unison tuning. IMHO
Bi-Chords, designed properly, are more than sufficient to balance a scale.
However, unless you are a really knowledgeable rebuilder, the changing of
Tri-Chord to Bi-Chord, is difficult and not recommended.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)