ACTION WEIGHTS

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 1 May 2002 13:57:21 +0200

  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
  Envoye : mercredi 1 mai 2002 13:33
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : RE: ACTION WEIGHTS

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Stuart & Aimee Balsillie
  Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 5:32 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: ACTION WEIGHTS

  To all,

  I would be most appreciative if anybody would be able to help  me
understand problems with touch weight in actions.

  I was recently talking to a friend who is a piano technician and he was
showing me a Schimmel grand action he just got in for repair ( not sure what
size grand as he only had the action but apparently  the piano is 30 years
old,  and has not been touched by anyone)  He said the touch was very heavy,
and when he put weights on it the keys would not budge under 60 grams
although this varied from key to key.I asked if it was only due to heavy
hammers? surely there must be friction problems as well (as I am sure
Schimmel would not regulate their actions to 60 grams (is this assumption
right?)   He said yes there was friction problems an he proceeded to quickly
lubricate the roller on middle C, when he put the weights on this key it
then moved at around 50 grams. I thought surely this would prove that there
were friction problems and not hammer weight problems, he explained to me
that although the weight had dropped the hammers were too heavy and that it
will not play properly. I seem to have an uneasy feeling about this
explanation and would be most grateful for anyone able to help explain what
may be happening in this action.

  sincerely,

  Stuart Balsillie

  Piano Technician

  Kyneton

  Australia

  sabalsillie@bigpond.com

              Stuart,

              Sounds like a guy who  wants to put new hammers on this thing.
. If they are not worn, IMHO he should continue with the cleaning,
polishing, lube routine. Key pins, capstans, knuckles, rep. levers, jacks,
key easing at the bushings and balance rail hole.possible action centers if
too tight. Action regulation, damper timing etc.

              How accurate are the weights?  60 grams isn't that heavy .
Sometimes the jack position under the knuckle will give you excessive
resistance at letoff and make the action feel heavy during pianissimo play.

              Just my opinion, but I doubt it is a hammer weight issue.

              Tom Driscoll