You're never too good

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:50:21 +0100

Dale,

I remember was on a Petrof, and the sides where colored artificially. The
edge of the finish where damaged, and the low sides of the dampers shows
marks, so I had to black them again with dye.
I don't recall the wall paper remover have any acetic acid in, only wetting
agent (?) . The problem in fact was that the damper wood was softer than
expected on this piano. I had marks on key bushings too when using the wall
paper remover method.

I guess that there are number of methods that apply well on US pianos
because of the material used, but can't be always used on pianos from other
provenance .

I was not aware of that in time, now I am more cautious generally.

Probably a little 70% alcohol mixed can soften the glue and fasten the
process, I used this lately for taking off grand knuckle and the pliers
where very efficient immediately, with no part breakage as when used dry.

Regards

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]De la part de
Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
  Envoye : vendredi 29 mars 2002 04:20
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: You're never too good

  In a message dated 3/28/2002 3:52:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
oleg-i@wanadoo.fr writes:

               Isaac

                We have used your method with some wall paper remover but we
always seem to have some problem with the old finish especially on the ends
of the damper block. Frequently we must refinish which is time costly.After
reading this post next time I will try just hot water. We had specially made
metal trays made that we place side by side . The dampers sit astride the
trays ,one damper in each tray and then the hot water and some wall paper
remover  is poured in but I,m now thinking that the acidic acid is the
problem with the finish. I'll find out soon enough. you could try the same
thing and post back. I think the stains are apparent only on dampers that
aren't dyed black but are just the natural wood color. Is that what you
meant by stains?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<,Dale Erwin>.....

    Hello ,

    The only time I used water (and a very little wall paper remover) on
grand
    damper felts, the water goes in the wood and leave ugly marks on the
sides
    (and I did not even install them in Tepperware or a recipe, only soaked
the
    felt, put the heads back on a tray and wait 30 min).

    So I stick with the chiseling method, then sand the remaining glue flat,
it
    is fast and clean, just I take care to sand level.

    Regards

    Isaac OLEG