answer to mystery noise

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:01:44 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 8:22 AM
  Subject: answer to mystery noise

  Only Roger attempted to answer the mystery noise, so I'll give the =
answer.=20

  To recap. "On a 25 year old KG2, (5'2" Kawai grand, in very good =
condition, considering it is in a practice room), there was a strange =
noise on notes d2 - g2. On a medium to hard blow, it sounded like metal =
buzz. Upon closer inspection, it wasn't a metal buzz, but a high pitched =
groan. Not only that, but a very small adjustment on each key and a =
little rubbing in the right place, solved the problem."=20

  The noise came from the jack escaping from the knuckle. I don't know =
why it did that, and why only on those notes, since all the jacks were =
under the knuckles in the right place. But I solved the problem by =
moving the jack 1/64" inch forward, and lightly filing the knuckle.=20

  Wim=20

  Hmmmm.  I had a similar problem, but it was a clicking, or "ticking",  =
like when a catcher is loose on an upright.  But this was a Mason&Hamlin =
grand from the 50's and the jacks were clicking when they contacted the =
knuckle.  I could hear it just tapping lightly on the keys, without the =
hammers even hitting the strings.  Another client has a Korean Wurlitzer =
that does the same thing, but louder.  I don't know if M&H ever used =
Corfam, like Baldwin, but the effect was the same.  Somebody had applied =
some kind of stuff to the knuckles, but it didn't help.  If anything, it =
collected dust, packed down, and made the clicking worse.  So I cleaned =
all the knuckles with drycleaning fluid, brushed the nap, lubed with =
powdered teflon, and that did it.  For a couple years.  Now the faint =
"ticking" is coming back on a few notes, but not as bad as it used to =
be.  But lightly FILING the knuckle, that I didn't even think of, and =
now I'm glad there's another thing I can try if it gets worse.           =
                --David Nereson, RPT, Denver