Tone near plate struts

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:01:30 +1100

Phil, Ron and all,

>  > Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>>
>>>It is, after all, a bridge. It's primary job is load distribution.
>>>Stiffness affects assembly impedance, as is most obvious where a bridge is
>>>notched to go under a strut, making that section of bridge below minimum
>>>stiffness, and the tone quality of the unisons immediately on either side
>>>of the notch are reminiscent of mini killer octaves. This lack of stiffness
>>>is also evident at the low tenor, where the bridge (structural support)
>  >>ends, making the assembly more flexible than it is just a few
>notes up scale.

Indeed, and while the practice of using a ring bridge is an attempt
to alleviate this problem, it has the disadvantage of reducing the
fundamental tone from the lowest bass notes. In the past few years we
have been extending the low end of the long bridge to beyond the
lowest tenor note, to provide support on the 'lower' side of the
note. In our piano no. 003, it extends such that it terminates over
an auxiliary sound board rib (one which does not extend to as far as
the bass bridge or the inner rim on the straight side). This has the
effect of forcing the sound board panel area immediately adjacent to
the lowest tenor note, to move more as a unit. For many pianos, there
is quite an area of sound board in the back-bass corner where there
is little or no rib support for the panel. Very often the tone is
found to be wanting here.

>. . . But on pianos that do not have a cut down bridge there is
>still a deterioration, or at least a change, of tone adjacent to the
>plate struts or braces.  It seems to be worse on some pianos than on
>others.  What do you think is the reason for this?  I'd be
>interested in hearing some conjectures (or authoritative
>explanations if someone out there has some).
>
>Phil F

Phil, this is an interesting phenomena. We design the contact of the
bridge with the sound board such that it forms a uniform curve as it
approaches and leaves the immediate area under a plate strut (I do
not allow a dog-leg of bridge contact with the panel - dog leg
contacts are certainly a no no on my computer). However, since I am
not prepared to compromise the speaking lengths of the scale for any
reason, the top of the bridge must therefore lay back, and then
forward of the board contact as it goes down under a plate strut,
particularly with regard to the second break down. Theoretically at
least, we build the piano such that the percentage of breaking strain
is uniform. Therefore, we would expect the tuning to be relatively
stable also at the plate struts. However, while the stability is
superior to those pianos of the straight bridge under the strut
variety, some instability with temperature and humidity variations
continue to occur - as it does also at the string gauge changes.
Tonally, there seems to be more risk of variation if the note to not
spacing across the strut is wider. Since the wider the space between
the adjacent note centres (at the struts), the greater will be
requirement for the bridges to lean over as they approach the struts.
I believe it is important to minimise the bridge lean as much a
possible.

Now while I hate to raise the topic of bridge rocking with respect to
this matter (since it has nearly been done to death over recent
months), I believe it must be considered with respect to bridges
leaning (adjacent to plate struts). Let's assume that we have built
the long bridge as described above, and that it leans back on the
treble side of the strut and vice versa on the bass side.

Check the second top break on the overhead image of no. 003 at;
http://overspianos.com.au/OS003.html
This bridge cap leans back significantly on the treble side of the
strut. I have got better images showing the detail of leaning
bridges, but they're not on my site at present.

As the bridge rocks during the cycle (and if you don't believe that
the bridge rocks then that's OK, but I happen to believe that it
does), the rear leaning section will tend to increase sound board
panel depression as the speaking length tension increases, while the
forward leaning section will tend to reduce panel compression. This
may indeed cause a difference in the tonality on either side of the
strut. It should cause the board impedance to be lower on the treble
side and higher on the bass side. Now I'm not saying that this is the
magic factor which causes tone variability immediately adjacent to
the struts. But I suspect that it might be an important consideration.

Any other thoughts on this matter? Its an interesting question Phil.

Ron O.
--
                  OVERS PIANOS
        Grand Piano Manufacturers