answer to mystery noise

James Baker JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:50:59 -0500

It is recommended by Mr. Spurlock that you not use your finger as the =
oil will gunk up the teflon.  I use a piece of hammer felt which works =
great.

James
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:02 PM
  Subject: Re: answer to mystery noise

  Tommy, use the Teflon in a powder form from Spurlock Specialty tools. =
You can find it on the web. It's the best, and I use it every day. If =
you just can't wait for the order to arrive, you can go down to the =
sporting goods store and get some Hoppes teflon powder there. Talc's OK, =
but it's not as good as Teflon, and I personally like Spurlock's better =
than Hoppes. No need to use a whole lot either. After you put it on, =
burnish it in with your finger. It will go right into the knap of the =
leather almost as if it's disappearing. You can do this with your =
finger, and you never have to worry about your knuckles feeling crusty =
later.=20
      What I do is to keep it in a 35mm film canister, like the ones you =
probably throw away. I just put the cap on, shake it enough to get it to =
coat the inside of the cap, take the cap off and rub my finger around on =
the inside of the cap. Then you can coat 8 or 9 hammers with that =
amount. Then rub my finger on the cap some more, do six or seven hammers =
etc., then I may have to put the cap back on and shake again. After I'm =
done with a section, I have the hammers up and I kind of "pound" the =
compound into the leather with the same finger I applied the teflon =
with. It's simple and quick, and improves the feel so well that I do =
this to virtually every piano that hasn't had it done before. One of =
those little things the customer can feel and appreciate.=20
      One other thing, wash your hands as soon as you can after doing =
this; I don't think there's anything dangerous about teflon, but I just =
wouldn't want to eat anything after this without washing first.=20
    ----- Original Message -----=20