Varying bridge height (was Re: Floating soundboard)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:31:31 -0600

>I see your point.  What do you consider plenty stiff?

I've made them 30mm square with no problems. I don't really know what is
plenty stiff, just that I don't want the bridge stiffness making the
difference if I can help it.

>Do you normally work
>with
>the existing string plane or do you change that to give you more or less
bridge
>height?

Usually with the existing string height, or with only minor deviations. My
rib scales tend to have more, and smaller ribs than are usually found in
pianos of similar size, and my soundboard assemblies are usually stiffer
than the original. I think this gives me closer control of stiffness in any
given part of the board, and makes the stiffness of any one component less
critical. For instance, My 30mm tall bridge might be too flexible in an
assembly with 11 long ribs with no cutoff bar, but more than adequately
stiff in an assembly with 16 shorter ribs and a good stout cutoff bar
taking out about 20% of the active board. It's not any one thing, it's
everything together. I don't pretend to know the exact contribution of the
flexibility of any or all the given parts so I can predict what happens to
the sound if the bridge is 2mm shorter. I'm going for the system that gives
me the best predictability, with the greatest margin for error. Said system
subject to ongoing evolution as I learn more about it, naturally.

>>The KISS principal is gold in these situations.
>
>Sounds sensible, but at odds with my tendency to tinker.

Oh you can still tinker, but it's nice to think you might have an idea of
what you did right if something works. That's where simple helps
tremendously. Make incremental changes and keep track.

Ron N