Bay Area Pitches (was Re: Steinway 457cps pitch)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:26:47 EST

> Understandably there will be factors
> involved that are hard to predict, but is there a way to get really close?

Greetings,
    Yes,  there are ways.  They are called SAT,RCT, VT etc.  (Pitch raisins
don't mean throwing dried grapes around).
      This morning I was called to the "Mother house", a Catholic home for
elderly nuns here in Nashville.  The Steinway B had been left flat some years
before and I was looking at a pitch raise of 10 cents in the bass, 15 cents
in the middle, and almost 40 cents in the 7th octave.
    I used the SAT to give me a compensated measure at each octave as I went
up from A1.  After 15 minutes, I reached C88 with the entire piano at 440,
give or take 2-3 cents.  That is really close for this amount of raising.
Then, I spent an hour tuning a Moore and Co. Victorian style ET,(which is
really a mild WT).   Sister Rosemary loved it, said that is somehow sounded
like the piano she remembered from her youth, and she is not old enough to
have been around in 1880.
  How close is close enough?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT