Varying bridge height (was Re: Floating soundboard)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:32:26 0000

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:37:47
 Ron Nossaman wrote:

>>Ron, I pasted this bit into another e-mail and started a new thread.  You can
>>have a look if you like.
>
>Oh may I? <G>
>I await its showing up in my "in" box.

But don't hurt yourself.

>Under the
>circumstances, I want bridge stiffness out of the equation, and making them
>plenty stiff does that for me.

I see your point.  What do you consider plenty stiff?  Do you normally work with
the existing string plane or do you change that to give you more or less bridge
height?

>I didn't get a chance to hear the finished Mehlin I saw torn down, so I
>can't say one way or another. I'd gladly buy as many rounds as it took,
>however, to pick the brains of the designer(s) as to what the thinking and
>intent was behind all those marketable features. Someone surely had a plan,
>and I'd love to know the details.

Me too.  I've lamented before about people not keeping records or not having
a forum for sharing their ideas in their time or a means of archiving them so that
they could survive into our time.

>The KISS principal is gold in these situations.
>

>Ron N

Sounds sensible, but at odds with my tendency to tinker.

Phil F

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp