Tone near plate struts (was Re:Varying bridge height)

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:19:11 0000

> Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>
>>It is, after all, a bridge. It's primary job is load distribution.
>>Stiffness affects assembly impedance, as is most obvious where a bridge is
>>notched to go under a strut, making that section of bridge below minimum
>>stiffness, and the tone quality of the unisons immediately on either side
>>of the notch are reminiscent of mini killer octaves. This lack of stiffness
>>is also evident at the low tenor, where the bridge (structural support)
>>ends, making the assembly more flexible than it is just a few notes up scale.
>>

>Ron, I pasted this bit into another e-mail and started a new thread.  You can
>have a look if you like.

A bit of a delay due to computer crash.  I wanted to bring up the subject of
change or deterioration of tone near plate braces which you mention above.
Cutting down the bridge is one cause of it.  But on pianos that do not have
a cut down bridge there is still a deterioration, or at least a change, of tone
adjacent to the plate struts or braces.  It seems to be worse on some pianos
than on others.  What do you think is the reason for this?  I'd be interested
in hearing some conjectures (or authoritative explanations if someone out
there has some).

Phil F

See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp