Was Re: answer to mystery noise

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:55:11 EST

In a message dated 03/28/2002 7:10:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Gee, I'm not sure that would help on many of the pianos I see. If you rough
> up the outer portion (string side) of the hammer felt, doesn't that
> interfere with the ability of the strings to get down to the bottom of the
> grooves?   ;-)

Terry ,
 That's exactly right, it let's the hammer stike in a soft,napped up place,
instead of a rock- hard grooved area,where they should'nt be to start
with.I'm talking about hard crusty hammers, that have not had any attention
in their lifetime,and sound like tin-pan alley.I have been doing this for
years,and my customers love it.You have to know how much is enough,so as not
to damage the hammer,although the hammers I am talking about,are probally
bullet proof.
Good tuning
Hazen Bannister