Was Re: answer to mystery noise

HazenBannister@cs.com HazenBannister@cs.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:05:20 EST

In a message dated 03/27/2002 11:46:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> I am not sure what I did to the knuckles when I filed them. But when I did,
> it stopped the noise all together. I guess it took enough roughness, and
> maybe a little corrosion, off the leather, to stop the squeak.

Wim,list,
  This made me think of filing hammers.On spinet pianos (or any really) that
sound like a tin can,I have lightly scuffed up the hammer felt (on the final
pass),and the piano tone, and tuning, sound a million times better,as some of
the unwanted overtones are quieted down.Also it's easier to get really clean
unisons,listening quietly.Unfortunately,it's a temporary thing,but the
customers really like it.It's good to ask first,but you can usally tell who
would want the brassy sound or not by talking to them.
A friend of mine turned me on to a product called dragon skin,which workes
great for this, also great for reshaping hammers.
Hazen Bannister