Volume Reducing Ideas?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:09:21 -0500

That sounds like a good idea - you might even want to pull it through under the struts but still on top of the strings - so that the blanket/wide felt strip/whatever lays on all the strings.

Another thought I had was maybe shove a set of appropriate-thickness chunks of rubber between the framing and soundboard ribs (I should think that would tend to quite the board down?).

Another thing to do would be to keep lid closed and put one of those quilted covers over the whole piano (except the front part so that he could play - or maybe cover that also - that would really quiet things down!).

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Milkie" <pgmilkie@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: Volume Reducing Ideas?

Open the lid, prop it,lay a blanket over the harp
and strings.The blanket will not be in the way of the
dampers.Now close the lid.An older customer of mine
uses this method and he is very pleased.

Voicing the hammers is certainly a thought.
The strip muting will definetly bring the sound
down.

Best regards
Paul